Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Retail is Killing Me

I had an interview with Barnes & Noble today, and, while it went well enough that they've decided to give me a second interview, it left me depressed.

The words "It's not about books anymore, it's about selling" were used. More than once. And not by me, believe me.

Why can't it be about books? I love books. I do not love selling.

I understand that places have to stay in business, and that's getting harder and harder with places like Amazon giving them such steep competition, but... I dunno. I just hate it. I wish I didn't have to work retail.

I need to write that friggin' book so that I don't have to do this shit anymore.

I was going to say more, but I'm feeling kind of down about the whole thing right now. Maybe I'll add on later.

2 comments:

  1. Shit. They actually said that? I don't know why I'm so surprised, but that...sucks. I don't like that at all. And I forgot to wish you luck on your first interview - so GOOD LUCK on your second! ...Even if retail is horrible and B+N have lost sight of what they're supposed to be.

    My goal today is to write 500 words before 5 PM. It will be a random snippet of something in the Original Story, and I'll post it on the blog. I rather desperately wish I had my story binder with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel. The gimmicks I had to flaunt in peoples faces when I worked at a camera store almost made me sick. I had to sell a mininum of three items per sale or I basically failed at life.
    I hope things look up. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete