Monday, May 16, 2011

An Attempt at Serious-ness

Well Hi everyone!

Guest blogging here. I do have to say this is one of the oddest things I've done.
Heather told me I could write about whatever I liked. But how do you pick a subject and take it seriously on a blog that is random and ossum?

I thought about writing and drawing and all that stuff, but the fact is, I'm really not good at 'teaching' people how to do those things. Not that I don't like talking about them. . .
I just don't know that any of you would glean anything useful from any of whatever I decided to say. But we'll give it a go!

As it is, I've decided to just write and see what I put down. (Hopefully Heather will forgive me and I wont embarrass her or something.)

I shall make a small attempt at seriousness and see how it goes. (I'm typing as I think. . .heh.)

Writing and Drawing:

I will admit, those are the things I'm good at. Mainly drawing, so we'll focus on that, but what I think I'm going to say applies to anything really.
People want to be good at things, want to do them well, want to utilize them. That takes practice.
I get a lot of people 'complimenting' my work with things like, "Oh my gosh, I hate you!" Or, "I wish I could do that!" or "I have no talent. . . " (Are you guilty of this. . . to someone? Be nice people! It is possible to humble yourself and say, "Wow, that's really nice. ;) )
People! You do have talent! And if you put your minds to the things you love and work for you will improve and eventually get to a point where you are satisfied with your own work, whatever that may be. (And if you can't think of anything, start trying new things! You'll find your gifts and talents and passions eventually. But not by sitting on your butt. . . TRY NEW THINGS!)
But you do have to stop procrastinating. (I need to take my own advice. . .) and get out of your comfort zones and little hidey-hole boxes. (Again, I need to take my own advice.)
I started drawing when I was very small, and have been drawing almost every day for my whole life. That doesn't mean I created a finished masterpiece (Um. . . not that I'd really call anything I've done a masterpiece. Do I sound like I'm bragging? . . . ) every day. I just sketch some every day. Do something simple.
Little things keep your mind fresh and open to new ideas. I can sit down and draw a couple of feet (as in the kind you walk on. . .) or draw the lamp on my desk and I've done something to keep me in tune, to help me be ready for when I do get inspired.
Anything you want to be good at takes time and work and patience. Anything in life that's worth anything, the same applies.
So, whatever you want to do, do something, even if it's small, to practice or work toward it, every day. EVERY DAY!

End of Seriousness.

In other news, for those of you who care, Pirates of the Caribbean comes out in Three days.
[]:(>=

Oh, and Dreams Come True! It's true. Ask me. :)

Heather, thank you! For inviting me to do this. I hope it was worth something to somebody! Hope you all have a fabulous week. I'm off to sew my new pirate bandanna! (Or rather 'help' my friend sew it because I have yet to discover my sewing skills. We'll see how this goes.)

3 comments:

  1. I think you did an excellent job - and thanks for agreeing to it in the first place!

    The advice you gave is really relevant. I often find it hard to remember to keep up the daily writing, because it's easy to think "oh, I already know how to do it... I can just pick it up later." But even leaving off for a few days can let your writing (or drawing or whatever) muscles to get flabby.

    I definitely need to take your advice! :D

    And thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! For everything. :D
    Glad it was good advice, I need to take it too. I've been trying to get as sketch a day done, but it's only been working half the time. I have been working on other bigger projects too, so I guess I'm doing okay. Haha!
    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I have to wonder, though - how do dreams come true? :)

    ReplyDelete