Monday, May 7, 2012

Five Movies That Inspire Me to Write

Today is a "theme post" for Blogathon, and - as you may have guessed from the title - the theme is Five Movies That Inspire Me to Blog. Since no movies really inspire me to blog, I broadened it to plain ol' writing.

So, without further ado:

1. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy

I was interested in writing long before I ever saw LotR, but it wasn't until after I did (thanks to Elise) that I started writing fantasy stories. (Well, not including the weird little thing I wrote about unicorns when I was about seven...) They started off as fanfiction, which led to other fanfiction, which brings me to the next movie on the list...


2. Pirates of the Caribbean

Two Captains. 'Nuff said.


3. Harry Potter

A lot of other fanfiction I wrote, in the LotR/PotC phase was Harry Potter-related. Most of it was (intended) to be funny. A lot of the HP fics I liked to read were pretty snarky, and I think some of the Jack/Ryenne conversations are direct results of what I learned from authors like Cassandra Clare. :) Plus, HP fiction is just darn fun to write.


4. Coraline

I love the atmosphere of this movie. The mystery, the world-building, etc, etc. (Obviously, I love the book as well.) Another thing about it that led me to add it to this list is that I often use the movie soundtrack as background music when I'm writing. It's at times playful, tense, scary/creepy, and ethereal. Plus the fact that it has no real distinguishable lyrics (excepting "The Other Father Song," and "Sirens of the Sea") is helpful. Lyrics are often distracting.


And, finally...

5. Practical Magic

Don't judge me, here. This is, at its core, a movie about mystical, beautiful women and their mystical, awesome family. I love the back story to the Owens women. I love the Aunts. Every time I watch it, I just want to be Sally Owens. It always makes me want to write stories about witches and magic (if that topic weren't already done to death.)

(Obviously the movie has its cheesy bits, I'm not denying that, but I love it nonetheless.)


And that, good people, is my list.

I would write more, but I'm still recovering from the glucose testing I had to do earlier today. I feel groggy and fuzzy, so anything that requires mental effort is basically a no-no.

So I'ma go read Calvin and Hobbes now.

Bai bai. Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment