Saturday, May 5, 2012

Destiny

I realized I can see the future today.

The future that I saw? Me, as an old lady, calling the police on the noisy teenagers next door. Because I cannot stand noisy neighbors.

I love our apartment...for the most part. I love that it has windows in every room, no shared walls, no upstairs or downstairs neighbors, granite countertops and stainless steel appliances.

I do not love that the pool is just outside our spare room window. Sure, it's pretty to look at (when it's empty.) But I have worried about living next to it since the day we started considering moving in. Pools are noisy. (I should know - I lifeguarded at a [tiny] public pool for three consecutive summers.) Mark, my husband, said I was being silly to worry. Noise wouldn't be that big an issue.

And it hasn't been. Until today.

For a long time, it was too cold for swimming. And then the whole pool deck was being resurfaced. (The jackhammers were kind of an issue for me, but...yeah) But now. Now it is warm, and the kids are almost out of school.

Today, there was screaming. And shouting. And general rough-housing. It woke me up from my nap. It made me cranky. So cranky, in fact, that I was tempted to march down into my "back yard" and start shouting. Or punch a child. (Just one. To set an example.)

I have a very low tolerance for noise.

Now my only question is: will the end of summer find me with my sanity still intact?

I guess we'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment