Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Mood Swings

So, the pregnancy symptoms are continuing to arrive. Sunday morning, the mood swings and fits of nonsensical weeping reared their ugly heads. I don't know exactly what set me off, but I ended up feeling like Alice in Wonderland. You know, that one scene where she cries and cries and can't stop, until she practically cries an ocean? And then she suddenly comes to her senses and says something like, "Oh dear. I do wish I hadn't cried so much." It was like that. Like flipping a switch.

And then, at work, I could not stop being angry. I was so irritated it felt like my head was literally getting hot. I felt like a monster. I wanted to kill something. Everything set me off - every sound, every smell. People just would not stop being stupid, obnoxious, needy, and noisy. Someone downstairs was whistling - just whistling - and I wanted to hunt them down and wring their neck. People kept repeating dumb questions like, "Do you have any Black Friday specials?" (NO! We're a Goodwill! Everything is always on special!) and "Do you guys have a computer system where I can look up what books you have? Why not?" (BECAUSE WE'RE A FLIPPING GOODWILL!) Rrrrgh.

The thing that was driving me the most crazy, though, was the radio. I never listen to the radio usually because I'm just not into the music they play. So imagine going from that (no radio) to what I suffer through now (40 hours of radio every week). I swear, they only play ten songs over and over and over and over... Every time one of them came on, it made me want to storm downstairs and smash the radio system. Or rip the speaker out of the wall. I even made a list of songs that make me want to smash the radio:

"Moves Like Jagger," by Maroon 5
"Someone Like You," by Adele
"Forget You," by Cee Lo Green
"Need You Now," by Lady Antebellum
"Tonight, Tonight," by Hot Chelle Rae
"Apologize," by One Republic
"Grenade," by Bruno Mars
"Edge of Glory," by Lady Gaga
"California Girls," by Katy Perry

Rrrgh. Just looking at that list and knowing I'll probably hear every single one of those songs at work today makes me grumpy. Thank goodness I have tomorrow and Thursday off. My patience with work is thinning, and fast.

Oh, I was also going to mention my annoyance with people pushing their politics at me while I'm ringing up their items. On Sunday, it was this lady who was purchasing "The O'Reilly Factor (For Kids)" and spouting "tide comes in, tide goes out" bullsh*t. Yesterday, it was this old guy buying...bah...I don't even remember. But when I asked him if he was eligible for the senior discount, he starting ranting about how Obama was stealing money from old people and making young people pay the bill. And then he said the most racist, stupid, horrifying thing. I quote: "...then Obama will sneak back off to Kenya (where he belongs) with all our good American money to get that phoney-boloney birth certificate of his."

O_o

Then he had the audacity to ask if I agreed with him. I responded, in a shell-shocked sort of way, that I was non-political. (Which seemed the politest way to say, "HELL NO I DO NOT AGREE!") He told me that I'd damn well better get political, or Obama was going to continue to pull the wool over my eyes. I then bid him a good day and hurried off to shelve things.

I am saddened that these people actually exist.

I am also saddened that I have to go to work now and deal with them.


Now that I think of it, I wonder if my mood swings would be so bad if I got to stay home and chill... This job probably just exacerbates things.

1 comment:

  1. Ooooh dear.
    Knowing how mad I get in general at stupid people whilst working, and then thinking about being pregnant (when I have a taste of that thanks to the ridiculous things my monthly hormones to do me) and feeling like that all the time. . . I am so sorry. That just sucks.
    I hope things even out for you.

    ReplyDelete