Friday, November 4, 2011

Rain, and Other Things

It's raining today in San Diego (and Lemon Grove, where I live). It's gray and chilly, but I've got the sliding door open so I can listen to the sound of the rain on the leaves and sidewalks. It's the first real rain I've seen since I left Minnesota (and it hadn't rained there since last fall, so it's been quite a while). You'd think I'd hate how gloomy the day is, but it's actually kind of refreshing. It signals a break in the never-changing, always-sunny-and-blue-skies weather around here. (Not that I'm complaining, mind you.) Besides, I like the cold.

And, as my elder sister says I am a disciple of the Church of Tim Burton, I also kind of like the gloom. Gloomy weather is more conducive to my kind of storytelling than bright blue skies and chirruping birds. Gloomy weather stories are just more interesting.

"Once upon a midnight, dreary..."

"It was a dark and stormy night. You know the kind. Like day, but darker."


It's official - I passed both the drug test and the background check. I have orientation next Thursday morning, and then they'll let me know my new work schedule from there. (Hopefully it's a little flexible. I have doctor's appointments on both the afternoon of the 14th and the 15th. For different things, of course.) I'm excited, but also pretty nervous. I mean, I'm going from unlimited free time to a full-time work schedule, and I'm sure I'll get overwhelmed after a little bit. I just have to keep one thing in mind: MONEY.

In the words of Peter Griffin:

"It just goes to show you, Lois. It doesn't matter if you're black or white. The only color that matters is green."


Mark and I went and checked out the Bookloft last night. It was just a little loft area above a regular Goodwill, but it seemed nice enough. The girl who worked there seemed really laid back. (I didn't tell her I might be her coworker soon. I thought that would seem creepy.) It doesn't look like it'll be too bad a gig. I just hope that I actually get to spend most of my time in the book loft itself, and not a whole lot down in the regular part of the store. 


Haha, it's funny. When I applied for Goodwill, it was just for a regular store worker. And now that they've offered me a bookseller position, I'm all snobby about only working in the book areas. Oh, me. *facepalm*




My black lab, Lilly, is currently hovering over my laptop in a "Why are you staring at that box, Mummy? Don't you want to pet meeeeeeee? I think you should pet me instead!" kind of way. She's a very pushy dog sometimes. Both of my dogs are. It's probably because I spoil them rotten.


Well, that and I just said something to them about Mark being home pretty soon. They always get pushy and excited when I use the words "almost home." They're really good at word recognition. Unless that word is "no" or "don't" or "Lilly, get the heck out of here! You make me want to punch you in the face!" (I never do, of course.) 




Well, I don't have much more to say for now. I should probably get up off the couch and do something useful for once.


Still working on rewriting that scene from Two Captains. I'll let you know if anything comes of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment