Friday, July 29, 2011

What did High School have that I don't?

I've been thinking a lot lately about how much more productive Elise and I were in high school (as writers). What was it that made us write so hard for so long? Was it because we were avoiding schoolwork? Trying to tune out our teachers? Because we were forced to sit at a desk eight hours a day and needed something to occupy our over-active imaginations? What did we have then that we don't have now?

It's certainly not time. I have all the time in the world to write. I just...don't. I couldn't tell you why, except to say that writing seems so much harder than it used to be. Probably because we're waaaaaay more concerned about rooting out and closing up plot-holes than we used to be. We're trying to make things more cohesive and whatnot.

Also, focusing is hard. Easy access to the internet is to blame for that.

I'm tired of making excuses for not writing, and I'm tired of repeating the mantra "Writers write!" and then stepping back, taking a look at my writing habits, and thinking to myself: Well, I must not be a writer, then. BAH! I want to be a writer! I want to publish books!

So I guess, as always, I need to write.

Blast it all.

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean. I finished more artwork and writing in highschool than now. If you figure out a secret let me know. I'll do the same...

    heh. . .

    we'll both be disappointed when we just have to resort to discipline.

    ReplyDelete