Sunday, October 16, 2011

Garbahge Sale

So, a friend of mine told me tonight that her apartment complex is having a huge garage sale next weekend. She thinks I should come on over and see if I can sell some of my crafty wares, see how the market is for that stuff. Trouble is, I've been in the habit of giving my creations away, so my stock of stuff I'd be willing to sell is at about 0 items. If I decide to do this, it leaves me with about a week to come up with a reasonable amount of stock.

A lot of the stuff I've been making is not exceptionally difficult or time-consuming to make (with the exception of knitting. That can get tedious.), so I don't think I'd have too much trouble.

What I do have trouble with is deciding what these things are worth. Or if they're worth anything at all. Yeah, it's handmade. And yeah, it's a cool little gift when someone gives it to you, but is it something people would actually pay for?

I have no idea.

I suppose I'll just have to make a ton of stuff and find out for myself. I guess, if nothing sells, I'd have a lot of Christmas present material. Right?


In other news, I had a sad moment the other day when I realized just how much free time I have, and how little of it I actually spend reading. (Or writing, but that's another matter entirely.) I am endeavoring to remedy that situation. For a couple of weeks now, I've been picking away at the same book ("Ship of Magic," by Robin Hobb). Pitiful, really, how long it's taking me. Especially since I've read it before. (To my credit, it has been a while, and I've actually forgotten most of what happens. So it's like reading a new book.) It's about 800 pages long, and between yesterday and today I've read about 650. (Not too bad. We did have people over this evening, so that cut into my reading time.) I'm hoping to be onto the next one in the trilogy by tomorrow night. (Although the crafting could cut into my reading time, as well.)

Anyways, the point I'm trying to make is: I need to read more. So I am reading more.

And I think I'm actually happier for it. I feel less restless and morose. Hurrah for escapism!


In other, other news, my and my husband's anniversary is coming up this week. On the 20th, it will be four years. Hard to believe it's been that long, and yet, it seems like it's been longer. Funny how times passes.

We've already exchanged our anniversary gifts - he got a pressure canner (it sounds silly, but he really, really wanted one. We already made a batch of raspberry jam together. haha) and I got a set of lovely brass wind chimes (which I have been wanting). I love listening to them. It makes me wish it were windier here, lol.


I don't really have much more to say for now. Just kind of trying to wear my mind down before sleep.

It's not working very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment