Wednesday, April 13, 2011

What's In a Name?

Got my roller derby gear this morning! Mark (my husband, if I haven't mentioned it yet) surprised me by taking me to Sin City Skates, where Trish the Dish helped fit me for my first (and hopefully not last) pair of derby skates... and knee/elbow/wrist pads. And a helmet. (Helmets are very important.)

I'm pretty excited - and terrified - about the whole roller derby thing. It feels right, you know? I've never been into sports before, but this one feels natural. (Wearing the skates doesn't...yet.) I'm just hoping I don't fall down and re-crack my tailbone (I've cracked it before, yes). Of course, I realize I'll be doing lots of falling. Even knowing that ahead of time, I'm still nervous about it.

Now all I have to do is decide on a derby name. (And learn to skate, I guess.) Who should I be? Should I be Malice in Wonderland? Or Pwn of Arc? Or Rumblesplitskin? The list goes on and on and on, but I think those are my top three at the moment.

Hehe. This is exciting.

I put on my skates as soon as we got back to the apartment and wobbled around the kitchen. (Then Mark started heating up the Canola oil to make homemade potato chips and I took them off. I want to learn to skate, but not when there's a possibility of falling into a kettle of boiling oil.) EXCITING!

Trish the Dish was very excited for me too. She's been doing derby for seven years, I guess. She said she's pretty sure the next try-outs for the San Diego Derby Dolls are next Monday. GAH! She said she hoped she'd see me there. I hope so too.

I hope I don't chicken out.

No comments:

Post a Comment