Tuesday, September 27, 2011

BS Excuses

I'm an English buff. (It's probably obvious, since I'm a writer and the two usually go hand-in-hand.) And, like most English buffs, it is a pet peeve of mine to see people screw up elementary grammar because they didn't take the extra second to think about what they were saying.

(Side note: I also hate the phrase "pet peeve.")

I'm talking about the their/there/they're situation, as well as your/you're and its/it's. Excepting its/it's - which even I struggled with for a while - it really isn't that hard to remember which word means which thing. Especially with your and you're. The apostrophe just stands in for the missing "a" in "you are." You can tell by looking at it!

Anyway, the grammar itself isn't really my point.

The point I'm trying to make is that I hate bullshit excuses. Like needing to be "gifted" at spelling to be able to remember the rules of basic English.


You know what? I just realized what's bothering me isn't even really about that.

Okay. New point.


My point is: I hate being lectured by older people who hardly know me regarding my sensitivity to certain things/situations. Or rather: I hate being lectured by older people I hardly know who like to pretend we are familiar enough with one another that they're allowed this privilege.

The specific reason this made me think of grammar is because the lecture was regarding grammar. I used my facebook status as a mini-platform to express my frustration, and was given a lecture about my ignorance towards bad spellers, and how some people are not "gifted" with the ability to remember elementary grammar.

I don't think this would have bothered me had it been coming from my mom or my old high school English teacher (who, yes, happens to be a fb friend. nerdy, right?). They know me. Even from my mother-in-law, I would have understood. But who was this person?

The mother of a coworker (Navy buddy) of my husband, who I once met for all of twenty minutes. Following the encounter (which I thought was awkward and unpleasant, given the fact she would not stop gushing about how her son [a mannerless boor] was soo much more "gifted" than his classmates, one of whom was my husband.), she "friended" me on fb and has proceeded to stalk my every post.

I don't know why I accepted the friend request, but I am starting to get annoyed and a little creeped out by how frequently she likes and/or comments on my posts. This last one just annoyed me. (Probably ridiculous, self-righteous annoyance, but still.) I want to "unfriend" her, but...

You know what?

But nothing!

I'm going to do it right now!

Suck on that!


Sorry. Venting and being a crazy today. I feel like I've been a little unbalanced lately, and I think it's starting to show. Haha.

Just ignore me. O_o

____

Just reread this: I sound like an ass. But whatever, right? We all have those little things that bother us.

No comments:

Post a Comment