Thursday, March 24, 2011

Only Tomorrow

My god, I should not be blogging right now. I have waaay too much to do.

I've told you about the move to California many, many times, yes? Well, it is now upon us.

On Saturday morning, my parents are bringing a trailer up to my apartment to help me clear out all of my belongings and move them into storage (aka: my parents' basement.) I will then take up temporary residence (from Saturday until Wednesday) in my parents' spare bedroom. From there, I have to split everything into two groups: what is coming to San Diego, and what is not. (I have some of that sorting done already, but not all of it.) A lot of it depends on how much will fit into the trailer we're bringing. (We couldn't afford a moving van at this point in time, so we're taking a smallish SUV and a 4x8x4 trailer. Woohoo.)

My mom and I will be making the 3-day drive from Minnesota to California - we'll be leaving next Wednesday (the 30th) and arriving on Friday (the 1st). Well, my mom and I... and my two dogs. One 9-hour day, one 13-hour day, and one 7-hour day. It's set up that way because we had to pre-book dog-friendly motel rooms. Blah.

I'm told I should be excited about the drive, about the sights I will see and the experience of crossing our Great Nation and whatnot... All I can think of is: How would YOU like to spend 13 hours at a time in a stuffy car with two 50-80lbs hyperactive dogs? Tell me that, and then you can preach to me about the excitement of road trips.

I should probably also mention, at this point, that I have never driven anything with a trailer attached before.

It will probably be a huge pain in my ass.


I am whining again, aren't I?

I'll stop, promise.


I suppose I would be lying if I told you I'm not excited at all for the drive - I am, a little. It'll be an experience, and so far, my life is lacking in traveling experiences. I feel ridiculously sheltered for a 23-year-old. I only just saw the ocean (and had my first plane ride) last September. The Navy will probably remedy my lack of traveling know-how - already has, in fact - whether I like the way they do it or not. But that's the decision we made, I guess. The Navy, I mean.

What was I saying? Oh yeah. I only have until Saturday morning to pack up the rest of my stuff. It's kind of hard to say what percentage of packing I have left, because the furniture is in the way, clouding my judgment. (Thank goodness none of the furniture is actually coming. It just needs to be transported to the "HERE! TAKE THIS! IT IS FREEEE! area of the apartment's garage.) All I know is that I have a lot to do.

And here I sit. Blogging.

Avoidance, much?

No comments:

Post a Comment